ESPN fans using iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV can create a shared streaming experience with SharePlay*. With SharePlay fans stream live sports and other content with friends and family on FaceTime when everyone logs into the ESPN app with their TV provider or ESPN+ subscription on their own iOS and iPad devices.
Picture-in-picture mode allows viewers to easily jump from the FaceTime chat and video into the content being streamed with the ability to pass the content stream to their Apple TV. All participants in the SharePlay session will be synced so they can enjoy the experience at the same time.
Please note that each participant in an ESPN+ SharePlay session must have an active TVE provider and/or ESPN+ subscription.
If you have questions about SharePlay or run into trouble while using the feature, select an option from the list below to learn more:
- What do I need to use SharePlay?
- What content can I watch during a SharePlay session?
- How do I start a SharePlay session?
- How do I join a SharePlay session?
- I’m having trouble and need help
*NOTE: This feature is only available on iPhone and iPad—tvOS, and Mac devices are not supported at this time.
What do I need to use SharePlay?
To initiate or join a SharePlay session, you will need the following:
- An active ESPN account with an eligible TV Provider subscription. Click here for more information about TV Providers. To SharePlay ESPN+ content all users must be subscribed to ESPN+.
- A supported iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV device running iOS or iPadOS 15.1 or later. For more information on the SharePlay feature in general, click here.
- The latest version of the ESPN app installed and updated on your device.
Not an ESPN+ subscriber? Sign up for ESPN+ and start streaming today!
What content can I watch during a SharePlay session?
During a SharePlay session, users can stream live ESPN linear content* made available through a participating TV provider. ESPN+ subscribers also gain access to ESPN+ live events** and the ESPN+ content library.
NOTE: Replays and short-form clips are not eligible for SharePlay.
*Requires a subscription to a participating TV provider.
**Subject to regional blackouts based on user location.
How do I start a SharePlay session?
Starting a SharePlay session can vary depending on the device in use. Follow the steps below to learn how:
iPhone and iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, start a FaceTime call
- Swipe from the bottom edge of the FaceTime call > open the ESPN app
- Choose the event (ex. a live event or an ESPN+ Original) and press Play
- If prompted, tap SharePlay
A SharePlay session can include up to 32 people. However, if your SharePlay session includes participants using profiles from the same account, please note that an ESPN+ and TVE accounts allow three concurrent streams at a time (two for PPV events). Once SharePlay begins, all participants will be synced together and can control playback by pausing, skipping, or changing the content being streamed.
How do I join a SharePlay session?
Joining a SharePlay session can vary depending on the device in use. Follow the steps below to learn how:
iPhone and iPad
- In a FaceTime call, tap Open next to Join SharePlay
- After the ESPN app is opened, select Join SharePlay
- Once accepted, you will be automatically taken back to the selected content
- To return to the FaceTime call, tap the picture-in-picture tile on top of the screen
I’m having trouble with SharePlay and need help
If you’re running into trouble using SharePlay, please make sure you’re using a supported iOS, iPadOS, or tvOS device running the most recent software version.
If the information above doesn’t relate to or resolve your problem with SharePlay, please contact us by clicking the Chat icon below.